6709 State Road 70 East, Bradenton, FL 34203 | (941) 896-9921 | Mon-Fri 10am-6pm & Sat 10am-2pm
Johnson PhotoImaging has been at the forefront with its photo education programs in Manatee County for since 1999. We offer targeted workshops and classes that take photographic efforts to the next level; whether a beginner or an advanced photographer.
Our instructors are professional in the topics they teach and are up-to-date with the latest industry equipment and techniques. Lifelong hobbies have been established, and careers have launched from our educational programs.
Make sure to sign up on our e-mail list to get the latest updates.
As a reminder, under the current public health concerns, if you have special health conditions or have concerns with any class, please contact the store at (941) 896-9921 about options that may be available to you. Store hours are from 10am to 6pm Monday through Friday and 10am to 2pm Saturday. You can also send an email to email@example.com.
From JPI InFocus
Dates & times posted in print and online are subject to change. JPI reserves the right to reschedule any event or program.
Click on the link in the Class Description section and register via Eventbrite. Registration is also available by calling the store at (941) 896-9921. All educational program fees are due upon registration.
There are no refunds. Outside events are rain or shine.
As a reminder, under the current public health concerns, if you have special health conditions or have concerns with any class, please contact the store at (941) 896-9921 about options that may be available to you.
Class durations may vary from the designated time, depending on group size and involvement. Each class has an active participation element and expects full interaction with each student. The goal is for everyone to learn, create, and enjoy. All classes and events are scheduled to begin at the start times listed on the individual event page. To ensure the best educational experience, please plan to arrive 15 to 10 minutes early.
Upcoming InFocus Schedule (At a Glance) - For details on these upcoming events click on the links or scroll down.
• An Evening with Foto Dono on Mondays at 6:00 PM - A free webinar on selected topics.
• Online Photoshop and Lightroom Lessons - Available from Tuesday to Friday starting at 5:00 PM - Fee $90
• Private Online Photography and Camera Lessons - Available from Tuesday to Friday starting at 6:30 PM - Fee $90
ONLINE PHOTO AND CAMERA CLASSES
• Camera Basics - Online - June 16th at 6:30 PM $75
• Riding the Lightning with David Lee - Tips and Hints to Photograph Lightning - June 23rd at 6:30 PM - Fee $25
SPECIAL ONLINE EVENTS
• The Feathered Friend Photo Walk - Online Photo Review, June 4th at 6:30 PM. - Free
• Using Long Lenses to Capture Birds in Flight with Ken Hubbard - A Tamron Webinar Event - June 11th at 3:00 PM - Free
• Getting Up Close with My Marco with Jillian Bell - A Tamron Webinar Event - June 25th at 3:00 PM - Free
• The Low Light Photo Group - Online Meeting - June 25th at 6:30 PM - Free
• Fire and Light with David Lee - A Light Painting Workshop - June 14th at 8:30 PM - Fee $85
• Online Camera Basics - June 16th at 6:30 PM - An online course with a photo instructor to lead you through the fundamentals of a camera. A guide through the primary menu & button controls, and operations, for your Mirrorless or D-SLR cameras. Along with practical tips, topic include exposure, focusing, scene settings, and shooting modes. Learn to get out of the Automatic Zone! FEE $75 - FREE class with camera purchase from JPI. If you have a gift card or free class voucher please call Dono at (941) 896-9921 to register. Online event is through Zoom.
What will be covered: Exposure • Composition • Use of Lenses • Subject Development • Creative Thinking • Menu Navigation • Maintenance
• An Evening with Foto Dono - Join Foto Dono for a weekly discussions on photography topics covering everything from macro to astrophotography, Mondays at 6:00 PM. Each week will be a new topic and he will answer questions about it. This is a free event. However, tips are appreciated. You can digitally send tips through PayPal. Tipping is a personal choice and at your discretion. Online event is through Zoom.
Upcoming Topis • Lighting Basics - June 8th • Macro Photography - June 15th.
About Foto Dono - Donovan Evans, also known as Foto Dono, is an award-winning photo-artist. He is currently obsessed with the Milky Way. When not making things, he is the Education Director at Johnson PhotoImaging where he teaches photography.
• The Feathered Friend Photo Walk - Online Review. A photo walk you can do on your own or in small groups. It can be around your yard, neighborhood, city, or in the wild yonder. Between now and then head on out and search for some feather friends. We will have an online review on June 4th at 6:30 PM. We also go over some camera settings and lens options.
The main subject or the central element in your composition is birds (one or many). You can use any camera or lighting system. At least one photo needs to have been taken within the last six months. NO BIRDS IN CAPTIVITY – No Zoos, Rescues, Taxidermy, or Pets. You have two options for sharing your images. The review is limited to 3 images.
Option 1 - You can upload them here to MeetUp, and the images can be showcased for you during the meeting.
Option 2 - If you are unsure about the first option, you can always email them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The images need to be ready to share by June 4th at 6:30 PM.
• Using Long Lenses to Photograph Birds in Flight - A Tamron Webinar Event - Join Professional Photographer, Ken Hubbard, as he presents this fun and informative webinar on capturing great images of birds in flight. In this webinar Ken will take away the mystery of capturing birds as they soar high above your heads. He will discuss many different techniques that will take away the frustration of bird photography while helping you capture the images you want. Topics will include: Camera Setting, what lenses to use, composition and much more. Q&A To Follow. June 11th at 3:00 PM - Fee - FREE
• Fire and Light - A Light Painting Workshop - An outside event - Creating images with light or light painting is a unique and popular form of photography. It's moving a light source while taking a long exposure photograph, either to illuminate a subject or space. All you need is an interchangeable lens camera (ILC), a tripod and a remote switch.
The workshop will get you out of the "auto" zone of your camera. Photographer David Lee, along with model and photographer Kat Fodor, will guide you through your camera settings and allow you to create memorable images. The workshop is for all levels of photographers.
Where - We will meet at City Island. If the weather changes, we will meet at JPI. Fee - $85 - When - 8:30 PM - June 14th.
What will be covered • Exposure • Composition • Use of Lenses • Subject Development • Creative Thinking • Lighting
• Riding the Lightning with David Lee - Tips and Hints on the "whats" and "hows" on preparing yourself and your gear to photograph lightning!
With the brief quiet before storms start running across Florida, now is a perfect time to pick up a few tricks on how to photograph lightning. Trying to capture lightning can seem elusive at first. All you need is little knowledge and practice. David Lee is an "electric" example of this. A local photographer with a passion for making images with lightning.
David's online webinar includes a discussion on the things you need to create an image with lightning. A bit of photographic knowledge with the right equipment combined with a basic understanding of weather patterns. Keep in mind that sometimes you also need a bit of luck, and you might argue that's all you need. However, fortune favors those with the right knowledge and equipment, especially when fate brings you to the right place and time. Fee - $25 - June 23rd at 6:30 PM.
• Getting Close Up with My Macro with Jillian Bell - A Tamron Webinar Event - The next step in taking your Macro Photography. Have you dabbled in Macro Photography? Ever wondered what the next step is (or) how do I get even closer? Beyond Macro Webinar is a great place to explore these questions. We will address topics such as lens selection, lighting, correct exposure, white balance, and the tools needed to get you past the 1:1 reproduction ratio. You will learn how to calculate your reproduction ratio when using extension tubes, or bellows. Finally, gain insight on how to maximize your DOF with focus stacking software. This informative, technical seminar will prepare you for the next time you explore the world of the miniature. Fee: FREE - June 25th at 3:00 PM - The running time is approximately 90 Minutes.
LOW LIGHT PHOTO GROUP - The Low Light Group is open to all interchangeable lens cameras (ILC) - Mirrorless or DSLR - users who are interested in Low Light Photography. Hosted by Donovan (Dono) Evans, the group will explore the unique properties of low light photography with presentations and field trips. There are no fees or dues for joining this group. However, some group activities have fees. Meeting Times: The Low Light Group meets bi-monthly. Field trips and other similar events are scheduled when appropriate. If you have any questions, you can email Dono at email@example.com - The next meeting is Online June 25th at 6:30 PM
OLYMPUS USERS GROUP - The Group is open to the public and photographers interested in Olympus micro 4/3 mirrorless systems.There are no fees or dues for joining this group. However, some group activities have fees. The group meets once a month. The next meeting is TBA.
SONY MIRRORLESS USER GROUP - A community of like-minded Sony Enthusiasts that meets regularly. The group is open to photographers interested in Sony's mirrorless systems. Hosted by Michael Arbor, there are no fees or dues for joining this group. The next meeting is TBA
Missed a meeting and wished to join one of these groups, register online here to receive future e-mail updates. Group meetings are held at JPI unless otherwise stated. The groups rely on the active participation of all attendees.
With over 25 years of experience in photography and editing, Foto Dono covers a wide range of topics including macro, landscape, portrait, astro, and other photo disciplines. Along with workshops on photo editing techniques including Photoshop, Lightroom, Luminar, and many others. These appointments are usually very technical about a piece of specific equipment or photo technique.
Camera and Photography Lessons via the webinar platform, Zoom, we can schedule an appointment that works on any device - mobile or desktop. FEE - $90 for 1-Hour.
Date and Times - Tuesday through Friday at 6:30 PM. If you prefer a different day and time please contact the store to make arrangements (941) 896-9921.
One on One lessons building around the student's needs on the following topics.
Lessons in Lightroom* - Lightroom Classic is a powerful tool for the photographer. It is an organizer, editor, and can output creative works in a myriad of ways. Whether you're a beginner looking for a solid foundation in importing, organizing, and editing; or an experienced user wanting to explore new options to augment your workflow, our instructors have the experience to guide you.
Photoshop CC Editing Lessons* - Our expert graphic artists can give guidance through many topics like - image compositing, color corrections, working in layers, digital asset management, advanced operations, selection tools, basic editing settings, and much more.
Fee: $90 - All software, before the start of the course, must be already installed. You choose which topic Photoshop or Lightroom on check out.
Date & Times - Available weekly from Tuesday to Fridays, running approximately 60 minutes starting at 5PM.
*Base level knowledge of your computer's filing system, storage locations, and operational shortcuts will go a long way towards enhancing your experience in this course and with your computer system. for ethical bird photography.