6709 State Road 70 East, Bradenton, FL 34203 | (941) 896-9921 | Mon-Fri 10am-6pm & Sat 10am-2pm
Johnson PhotoImaging has been at the forefront with its photo education programs in Manatee County since 1999. We offer targeted workshops and classes that take photographic efforts to the next level, whether a beginner or an advanced photographer.
Our instructors are professional in the topics they teach and are up-to-date with the latest industry equipment and techniques. Lifelong hobbies have been established, and careers have been launched from our educational programs.
Make sure to sign up on our e-mail list to get the latest updates.
As a reminder, under the current public health situation, if you have special health conditions or have concerns with any class, please contact the store at (941) 896-9921 about options that may be available to you. Store hours are from 10 AM to 6 PM Monday through Friday and 10 AM to 2 PM Saturday. You can also send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can view past webinars and other instructional videos. Make sure to hit that subscribe button to get notifications when the next video posts. Click here to view.
Call JPI to check for availability (941) 896.9921.
From JPI InFocus
Dates & times posted in print and online are subject to change. JPI reserves the right to reschedule any event or program.
Click on the link in the Class Description section and register via Eventbrite. Registration is also available by calling the store at (941) 896-9921. All educational program fees are due upon registration. If you have a JPI gift card or a free class voucher, please call JPI to register.
There are no refunds. Outside events are rain or shine.
Online Class Durations
The class duration may vary from the designated time, depending on group size and involvement. Each class has an active participation element. The goal is for everyone to learn, create, and enjoy. All are scheduled to begin at the start times listed on the individual event page. Please be prepared 15 to 10 minutes early before the online session starts to ensure the best educational experience.
Software Lessons • Base level knowledge of your computer's filing system, storage locations, and active shortcuts will go a long way towards enhancing your experience in those courses and with your computer system.
Online Tutorials • After registering, you'll receive a link to your online session with the instructor. If you need to make other arrangements for date and time, please call JPI. Online sessions are through Zoom.
In-Store Classes • Only 4 students per class to ensure proper social distancing practices.
The JPI Canon Mirrorless Enthusiast welcome back Canon Specialist, Jeff Leimbach.
• What to Shoot When There's Nothing to Shoot is an ideas class by all accounts. This class is full of shooting ideas designed to get photographers out of a creative rut and back shooting. There are discussions on Self Assignments, Shooting on Spec, Places to Shoot, ways to shoot, and more.
This class is for everyone, regardless of skill level, camera brand or type. The meeting streams live online with Zoom.
FREE - February 10th at 6:30 PM
• Camera Basics - A class designed for new camera owners, specifically for D-SLRs or Mirrorless systems.
Topics that will be covered: • Exposure • Composition • Use of Lenses • Subject Development • Creative Thinking • Menu Navigation • Maintenance.
FEE $75 - Free with a camera purchase from JPI. If you have a free ticket or gift card, please call JPI at (941) 896-9921 to RSVP your spot. February 6th at 2:30 PM.
• Beyond the Camera Basics - Leaving the Automatic Zone but still need help navigating the photographer's road rules. Join Foto Dono as he guides you through manual settings and working with the exposure triangle (ISO • Aperture • Shutter).
Fee - $75 - February 13th at 2:30 PM.
What will be covered: Exposure Settings • Depth of Field • Freezing and Blurring Motion • Use of Lenses • Subject Development • Creative Thinking • Lighting your subject • Expansion & Compression.
A basic understanding of your camera's navigational features will go a long way towards enhancing your experience in this course. Please have your - Mirrorless or D-SLR - battery fully charged.
• Light Basics - Working with Flash Photography - This class will teach the fundamentals of using available light and light modifiers in various photographic situations.
What will be covered: • Using the Flash • Using Natural Light • Lighting, your subject • Exposure Settings • Composition • Creative Thinking • Light Modifiers • Expansion & Compression.
Please have the battery fully charged for your Mirrorless or D-SLR. You do not need to have a flash for this webinar.
Following the classroom instruction, students will try out some flashes and techniques in the studio.
Fee - $75 - February 20th at 2:30 PM.
• Capture One - An Introduction - Capture One Pro is an alternative to Lightroom without a subscription. It has robust digital asset management that can help the established photographer or the novice. The tools that Capture One provides allows you to organize, edit, and output in a custom interface that fits your needs. Its main power is its incredible RAW editing tools.
Topics in this three hour class include understanding the interface, and it's easy than you think. We will cover working with catalogs and sessions and tips to speed up your workflow. We will explore the editing suite, playing with cropping, straitening, professional-grade color correction, working in layers, exporting into Photoshop, and batch processing. If your an avid photo enthusiast, then this is an excellent class for you.
Fee - $95 - February 16th at 6:30 PM
• A Camera Class for Sony Mirrorless - The three-hour course will help you gain confidence in your new Sony camera system. It is more for the technical side, like camera buttons, dials, modes, and options to help you become a better photographer. Although we talk about the craft of photography, it’s not the main focus of this class.
We will cover basic settings - white balance, flash, creative filters, burst mode, exposure modes, shooting modes, and more.
There is no photography experience required for the class, although a rudimentary terminology would be helpful. The idea is to demystify the camera for you as we try to cover as many buttons and dials as possible. The class is for new camera owners as well as experienced photographers.
The fee is $95 - February 23rd at 6:30 PM
If you purchased your Sony Mirrorless System within the last six months from JPI, there is a 30% discount. Call JPI (941) 896-9921 to claim your deal and RSVP.
• Close-Up, Macro Photography and Focus Stacking - The class is a three-hour exploration of the fantastic world of close-up and macro photography. The course is for beginners to advanced photographers who are fascinated by the macro world.
What to Expect - We will go over selecting cameras, lenses, macro attachments, and light sources. Also, we cover focus stacking using Adobe Photoshop. If you haven't used Adobe Photoshop before, there is a free trial version available.
The Fee is $95. February 27th at 2:30 PM
If time permits, we will also do a live practice session. There will be a limited choice of lens selection for macro work. Depending on the weather will be either outside or inside for the practice session.
• Camera Menus and Photography - An interactive online camera course or in-store tutorial with a photo instructor. You'll receive guidance through your Mirrorless or D-SLR camera's primary menu & button controls and operations.
The instructor will cover exposure, focusing, scene settings, and shooting modes and share practical tips.
• Weekly Lessons in Lightroom - Lightroom lessons are one on one with an instructor either online or in-store. There are scores of videos online about Lightroom. However, if you are looking for more of a personal guide to Lightroom Classic, you can join Mike for his weekly lessons. Lightroom is a powerful tool for the photographer. It is an organizer, editor, and can output creative works in a myriad of ways. Whether you're a beginner looking for a solid foundation in importing, organizing, and editing; or an experienced user wanting to explore new options to augment your workflow, our instructors have the experience to guide you.
• Weekly Photoshop CC Editing Lessons - If you are looking for more of a personal guide to Photoshop, you can join Mike for his weekly lessons. He provides one-on-one guidance through many topics like - image compositing, color corrections, working in layers, digital asset management, advanced operations, selection tools, basic editing settings, and much more. Although this usually is for 1-hour, extra time is available at the hourly rate.
Lightroom and Photoshop Lessons are typically scheduled Tuesday through Friday at 4:30 or 6:30 PM. If you need to make other arrangements for date and time, please call JPI at (941) 896-9921. You can schedule an in-store appointment if you prefer. Ask for our Graphic Artist, Mike. You can reach him Monday through Friday from 11 AM to 5 PM. - FEE - $100 for 1-hour for either lesson.
Camera Menus and Photography Tutorials are scheduled for once a week at 6:30 PM. Please call JPI at (941) 896-9921 to schedule your appointment. Ask for Dono, Director of Education. - Fee $100 for 90 minutes.
This three-part course will teach you everything you need to know about capturing night photos. It covers from basics of Low Light Photography to capturing Star Trails and the Milky Way.
The course topics include Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, recommended equipment, composition, editing, exposure blend, star trails, and focus stack. It is perfect for beginners, with little to no knowledge of photography. Also, if you are interested in shooting in low light, Milky Way, or night landscapes (NightScapes!)
You'll need a camera, a lens, a smartphone, and a laptop. The instructor uses the following software in the course - Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Aurora HDR, StarStx, Capture One. Most of the software has a free 30-day trial that you can use.
Over the course will go over equipment choices from cameras, lenses, tripods, and other pieces that make the adventure more comfortable. We will discuss the exposure settings and some custom settings for some cameras. We go over the various apps used in planning out night time adventures. We will also do a step by step look at editing with images covering a wide range of environments. The final part of the course includes a field trip to photograph the Milky Way over in Myakka. A chance to put into practice what we learned.
The fee is $285 - RSVP HERE
The course has three parts.
If the weather is unfavorable, we will reschedule the field trip for a different date.
Welcome to the first meeting of the Sony Mirrorless User Group in 2021. In this meeting, we will cover some of the recent updates from Sony. We will also explore some tips and techniques when it comes to using Capture One. Also, joining us will be Sony specialist Ranieri Palavicini. Ranieri will be going into the set-up and including tips on using Sony's Eye AF: People and Animals.
We look forward to seeing you there!
The meeting streams live online with Zoom.
ABOUT THE SONY MIRRORLESS USER GROUP - A community of like-minded Sony Enthusiasts that meets regularly. The group is open to photographers interested in Sony's Mirrorless systems. Hosted by Michael Arbor, there are no fees or dues for joining this group. Missed a meeting and wished to join, register online here to receive future e-mail updates. Group meetings are currently online only.
Welcome to the first online meeting in 2021 of the Olympus Users. We will be comparing the features of Capture One with Olympus Workspace. Olympus Workspace is a handy tool and free from Olympus. But how does it compare? Pretty well, actually. Found out more as Dono goes over both programs.
The meeting streams live online with Zoom and also over on Facebook. After the meeting, the recording will remain on Facebook.
The Olympus Users are open to the public and photographers interested in Olympus micro 4/3 mirrorless systems. There are no fees or dues for joining this group. However, some group activities have fees. The Olympus Users is moderated by Dono, AKA Foto Dono, the director of education from JPI. He also loves his Olympus cameras!
The Group started in 2017 and is open to all interchangeable lens cameras, Mirrorless or DLSR users interested in Low Light Photography. Hosted by Donovan Evans, a.k.a. Foto Dono, the Group will explore low light photography's unique properties with presentations and field trips. The Group typically meets bi-monthly at Johnson PhotoImaging in Bradenton, FL.
When - The next online meeting will be in March - Date and Time TBA.
Bradenton Photo Group is a MeetUp Group whose main purpose is to create, inspire and educate the world about photography. We do this through classes, seminars, workshops, photo walks, and other photo group experiences. A chance to meet new people, learn new things, find support, get out of their comfort zones, and pursue their passions, together. All camera users Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, and other are welcomed. There are camera group gatherings that meet at Johnson PhotoImaging in Bradenton, FL.
Moderated by Donovan "Dono" Evans, Director of Education at JPI.